Okay maybe I over-exaggerated. I confess. I love butter and perhaps nothing is better than butter especially with garlic. Garlic pasta yes sir-eee! A while back watching Oprah I learned from Chef Tal Ronnen, a vegan chef, to replace milk with cashew cream as a thickener. I gave his celery root apple soup a try and boy now I’m hooked. For someone who loves dairy and milk, I still love cashew butter. It reminds me of how the Chinese use blended raw rice water in sweet almond soup.
Let’s play some Iron Chef with butternut squash.
Butternut Squash Cream is a creamy, buttery, velvety smooth base for curry, soup, sauces, or dip by adding whatever spices you like. Heck, you could just eat it by the spoonful or add it to your morning oatmeal/pancakes.
Instead of blending the cashews separately I blended the cashews with the roasted butternut squash. Fewer the steps the better!
( I don’t know the exact measurements, so adjust to your taste)
Butternut Sqaush Mac and Cheese
1/4 cup uncooked macaroni
1/4-1/2 cup Butternut squash Cream (recipe below)
Pinch of salt and ground pepper
~6 Spinach leaves (Optional)
2 tbls of grated parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. (Undercook by a minute if you plan on baking this after). Drain. **make sure you salt the water.
- In a oven safe bowl, mix butternut squash cream, salt and pepper, and cooked macaroni
- Shred spinach leaves evenly on top the macaroni and cover with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until bubbly (about 15 minutes??)
Butternut Squash Cream
Servings: 3 cups**
1/2 butternut squash (6-8 inches)
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup warm water (replace with chicken/vegetable stock for more flavour)
- Roast the butternut squash @ 375 0 F until soft (about an hour)
- Break the cashews in half or smaller pieces and soak them in water for an hour to soften
- Wash and drain cashews & remove the skin off of the squash
- Add cashews, squash, water into a blender
- Blend until smooth
I just threw this together, so I apologize if the measurements are off.